Philip was close to the presidents children and accompanied them on trips. He was a 1912 graduate of Harvard University and he served as the 1914 President of the Harvard Advocate. He was an member of the Raynal Bolling’s 1st Aero Company of the New York National Guard. He did not qualify as a military aviator due to his eyesight, immediately after United States Congress declared war on 6 April 1917, the Signal Corps summoned Roosevelt to Washington to help plan the aviation mobilization. He impressed Benjamin Delahauf Foulois and accompanied him to France, Foulois paired Roosevelt with major Bert Atkinson, but they had the command organization that resulted from the American Expeditionary Force’s inexperience in coalition warfare. They operated under the French Sixth Army, but two different American headquarters felt that they held jurisdiction, the coffeehouse was renamed the Double R, and moved to 112 W. 44th in 1921. It was managed by the Roosevelts until 1928, in 1925, he married his own cousin Jean S.
Roosevelt, daughter of John E. Roosevelt. Their common great grandfather Cornelius Van Schaak Roosevelt was Theodore Roosevelts grandfather and he was the son of William Emlen Roosevelt, grandson of James A. Roosevelt and brother of George Emlen Roosevelt and John Kean Roosevelt. He died in November 1941 of drowning, presumably after an attack, while sailing a dinghy in Oyster Bay. He would partner in Roosevelt & Son and supposedly became a trustee of the estate of James Roosevelt, Sr. on behalf of distant cousin. A Time story of a repartee between cousins in a series of notes about the effects of fiscal policy and estate interests was very humorous
Beekman Winthrop was an American lawyer, government official and banker. He served as Governor of Puerto Rico from 1904 to 1907, as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in 1907-1909, the son of Robert Winthrop and Kate Wilson Taylor, Beekman Beek Winthrop came from a family of wealth and influence in New York. Winthrop was soon promoted to Assistant Executive Secretary of the Philippines and was appointed as a Judge of the Court of First Instance, Philippine Islands. He was known to be a friend of Theodore Roosevelt and was appointed by him in 1904 as Governor and General Commander of Puerto Rico. He was confirmed by the Congress, melza Riggs Wood, four years his senior, whom he married in 1903, became the First Lady of Puerto Rico. Winthrop took oath as governor of Puerto Rico on July 4,1904, on his inauguration, he promised improvements to the educational system of Puerto Rico. Winthrop was a proponent of bringing citizenship and locally elected officials to Puerto Rico system of governance, the press reported favorably on Winthrops activities, and reporters were especially impressed with Mrs.
Winthrops fluency in Spanish, which made her popular among local population. In 1907, Winthrop was appointed as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, following his retirement from public service in 1913, he was a director of National City Bank. He resigned from the bank in 1916 and he subsequently became a senior partner of Robert Winthrop & Co. in New York, from which capacity he stepped down in 1939. At the end of his life he lived in New York on East 69th Street and he is buried at Green-Wood Cemetery. The Winthrops did not have children, Nathaniel Thayer Winthrop, Beekman Winthrop at Find a Grave Photograph album of Beekman Winthrop, ca
Kenney was an American writer and actor who co-founded the magazine National Lampoon in 1970. Kenney edited the magazine and wrote much of its early material, Kenney was born in West Palm Beach, but his family moved to Mentor, Ohio in the early 1950s, before settling in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. Kenney lived in Chagrin Falls from 1958-1964 and attended Gilmour Academy, while at Harvard University, Kenney was a member of the Signet society and editor of The Harvard Lampoon. There, he was part of the first group of newcomers who restyled the college humor magazine, another of these writers was Henry Beard, with whom Kenney frequently collaborated, and who became a lifelong friend. Together with Beard, he wrote Bored of the Rings, which was published during 1969, soon after, he, Beard and fellow Harvard alumnus Robert Hoffman began work on founding the humor magazine National Lampoon. Kenney was one of the forces of what was to become known during the 1970s as the new wave of comedy.
Kenney was Editor-in-Chief from 1970 to 1972, Senior Editor 1973 to 1974, the feature was an Americanized version of Private Eyes long-running column Mrs. Wilsons Diary, written from the viewpoint of Prime Minister Harold Wilsons wife. To escape the pressures of running a magazine, Kenney sometimes took unannounced breaks although, despite these absences. During one of these breaks he wrote a novel, Teenage Commies from Outer Space. Kenney threw the manuscript in a bin after a review from Beard. Beard said that it was simply the wrong form and the spirit of the novel was channelled into National Lampoons 1964 High School Yearbook, Kenney had a five-year buyout contract with the Lampoons publisher, 21st Century Communications. Kenney and Hoffman took advantage of this, dividing a sum of $7,000,000 among them, Kenney remained on staff until 1977. He quit to co-author the screenplay to National Lampoons Animal House, along with Chris Miller, Kenney had a small role in Animal House as fraternity brother Stork, with only two lines of dialogue.
Storks key scene is in the big parade climax, when he sabotages the drum major, Kenney selected this role for himself. Produced quickly on a budget, National Lampoons Animal House was, until Ghostbusters. Kenney produced and wrote Caddyshack with Brian Doyle-Murray and Harold Ramis, Kenney had a small role in Caddyshack as a dinner guest of Al Czervik. In the background of the Bushwood Club dinner party scene, Kenney is visible chopping out a line of cocaine for the female guest next to him. When Caddyshack opened to reviews in July 1980, Kenney became deeply depressed
The Colony Club is a women-only private social club in New York City. Founded in 1903 by Florence Jaffray Harriman, wife of J. Borden Harriman, as the first social club established in New York City by and for women, men are admitted as guests. The club and the street in front of it were often the site of large suffrage rallies sponsored by the Equal Franchise Society to which members of the Club belonged. Stanford White was slain by Harry K. Thaw months before construction of the Colony Club was completed, the building was designed in the Federal Revival style, and has unusual brickwork done in a diaper pattern as a notable feature of its facade. The Old Colony Club was sold after the club moved to its new location in 1916, the building houses the East Coast headquarters of the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. It was awarded landmark status by the City of New York in 1966, the second clubhouse, located at 564 Park Avenue, known as 51 East 62nd Street, on the northwest corner, was commissioned in 1913 and constructed from 1914 to 1916.
In 1973, Secretary of State Henry Kissingers birthday party was held at the Colony Club, in 2007, memorial services for Brooke Astor were held there. The Club presently has approximately 2,500 members who have access to discussions and wellness and athletic programs. The Clubhouse consists of seven stories,25 guest bedrooms, three dining rooms, two ballrooms, a lounge, a court, an indoor pool, a fitness facility. Annual gross revenues are more than $10 million, madeleine Talmage Force Astor – wife of John Jacob Astor IV Ambassador Robin Chandler Duke Florence Jaffray Harriman – founder Jessica Garretson Finch, college president, founding member. Elisabeth Marbury Kathleen Troia McFarland Anne Morgan – a daughter of J. P. Morgan, full list of members in first year New York Times Documenting the Gilded Age, New York City Exhibitions at the Turn of the 20th Century. A New York Art Resources Consortium project, exhibition catalogs from the Colony Club
John F. Kennedy
Kennedy was a member of the Democratic Party, and his New Frontier domestic program was largely enacted as a memorial to him after his death. Kennedy established the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1963, Kennedys time in office was marked by high tensions with Communist states. He increased the number of American military advisers in South Vietnam by a factor of 18 over President Dwight D. Eisenhower, in Cuba, a failed attempt was made at the Bay of Pigs to overthrow the government of Fidel Castro in April 1961. He subsequently rejected plans by the Joint Chiefs of Staff to orchestrate false-flag attacks on American soil in order to gain approval for a war against Cuba. After military service in the United States Naval Reserve in World War II and he was elected subsequently to the U. S. Senate and served as the junior Senator from Massachusetts from 1953 until 1960. Kennedy defeated Vice President, and Republican presidential candidate, Richard Nixon in the 1960 U. S, at age 43, he became the youngest elected president and the second-youngest president.
Kennedy was the first person born in the 20th century to serve as president, to date, Kennedy has been the only Roman Catholic president and the only president to have won a Pulitzer Prize. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, on November 22,1963, Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested that afternoon and determined to have fired the shots that hit the President from a sixth floor window of the Texas School Book Depository. Dallas nightclub owner Jack Ruby fatally shot Oswald two days in a jail corridor, then-Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson succeeded Kennedy after he died in the hospital. The FBI and the Warren Commission officially concluded that Oswald was the lone assassin, the majority of Americans alive at the time of the assassination, and continuing through 2013, believed that there was a conspiracy and that Oswald was not the only shooter. Since the 1960s, information concerning Kennedys private life has come to light, including his health problems, Kennedy continues to rank highly in historians polls of U. S. presidents and with the general public.
His average approval rating of 70% is the highest of any president in Gallups history of systematically measuring job approval and his grandfathers P. J. Kennedy and Boston Mayor John F. Fitzgerald were both Massachusetts politicians. All four of his grandparents were the children of Irish immigrants, Kennedy had an elder brother, Joseph Jr. and seven younger siblings, Kathleen, Patricia, Robert and Ted. Kennedy lived in Brookline for ten years and attended the Edward Devotion School, the Noble and Greenough Lower School, and the Dexter School through 4th grade. In 1927, the Kennedy family moved to a stately twenty-room, Georgian-style mansion at 5040 Independence Avenue in the Hudson Hill neighborhood of Riverdale, Bronx and he attended the lower campus of Riverdale Country School, a private school for boys, from 5th to 7th grade. Two years later, the moved to 294 Pondfield Road in the New York City suburb of Bronxville, New York. The Kennedy family spent summers at their home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, in September 1930, Kennedy—then 13 years old—attended the Canterbury School in New Milford, Connecticut.
In late April 1931, he required an appendectomy, after which he withdrew from Canterbury, in September 1931, Kennedy attended Choate, a boarding school in Wallingford, for 9th through 12th grade
Marine Air Terminal
In LaGuardia Airports overall terminal naming scheme, the Marine Air Terminal is called Terminal A. The terminal has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1982, New York was in dire need of a new airport by 1934 when Fiorello H. Plans for the airport, which was to be sponsored and funded through the Works Progress Administration, were approved by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on September 3,1937. Just six days later, the Mayor presided over groundbreaking ceremonies, at 558 acres and with nearly 4 miles of runways, the $40,000,000 airport was the largest and most expensive in the world to that time. New York Municipal Airport–LaGuardia Field opened on October 15,1939, the first flight from the Marine Air Terminal by a Pan American Clipper departed on March 31,1940, carrying a crew of 10, nine passengers and over 5,000 pounds of mail. It landed in Lisbon, Portugal 18 hours and 30 minutes later, the Pan American Clippers – with a wing span of 152 feet, a cruising speed of 200 mph and a capacity to carry 72 passengers – were luxurious.
The two-deck interior featured dining rooms, private compartments and sleeping sections, the glamorous era of the Clippers was brought to an abrupt halt by the outbreak of World War II. The terminal was closed for traffic in the 1950s and it fell into a state of disrepair. In 1966, it was renovated and reopened as a terminal for corporate jets, since 1985, the terminal has been used primarily for shuttle services between New York and Boston and Washington D. C. In 1985, Pan American World Airways began the Pan Am Shuttle service between New York and Boston from the Marine Air Terminal, Delta Air Lines acquired the service from Pan Am in 1991 and continues to use the terminal for operating the Delta Shuttle. Several commuter airlines, air taxis, private aircraft, Sheltair Aviation Services, and this, did not take place and Delta continues to operate the Delta Shuttle from the Marine Air Terminal at the present time. Inside the terminal hangs Flight, a mural measuring 12 feet in height and 237 feet in length, completed by James Brooks in 1940, Flight depicts the history of mans involvement with flight.
The mural was painted over without explanation by the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey in the 1950s, after an extensive restoration project headed by aviation historian Geoffrey Arend, the mural was rededicated on September 18,1980. Aviation, From Sand Dunes to Sonic Booms, a National Park Service Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary Historic American Engineering Record No, nY-89, New York Municipal Airport, Marine Air Terminal, Grand Central Parkway at Ninety-fourth Street, Jackson Heights, Queens County, NY
Theodore Roosevelt Jr. was an American statesman, explorer, soldier and reformer who served as the 26th president of the United States from 1901 to 1909. As a leader of the Republican Party during this time, he became a force for the Progressive Era in the United States in the early 20th century. Born a sickly child with debilitating asthma, Roosevelt successfully overcame his health problems by embracing a strenuous lifestyle and he integrated his exuberant personality, vast range of interests, and world-famous achievements into a cowboy persona defined by robust masculinity. Home-schooled, he began a lifelong naturalist avocation before attending Harvard College and his first of many books, The Naval War of 1812, established his reputation as both a learned historian and as a popular writer. Upon entering politics, he became the leader of the faction of Republicans in New Yorks state legislature. Returning a war hero, he was elected governor of New York in 1898, the state party leadership distrusted him, so they took the lead in moving him to the prestigious but powerless role of vice presidential candidate as McKinleys running mate in the election of 1900.
Roosevelt campaigned vigorously across the country, helping McKinleys re-election in a victory based on a platform of peace, prosperity. Following the assassination of President McKinley in September 1901, Roosevelt succeeded to the office at age 42, making conservation a top priority, he established a myriad of new national parks and monuments intended to preserve the nations natural resources. In foreign policy, he focused on Central America, where he began construction of the Panama Canal and he greatly expanded the United States Navy and sent the Great White Fleet on a world tour to project the United States naval power around the globe. His successful efforts to end the Russo-Japanese War won him the 1906 Nobel Peace Prize, elected in 1904 to a full term, Roosevelt continued to promote progressive policies, but many of his efforts and much of his legislative agenda were eventually blocked in Congress. Roosevelt successfully groomed his close friend, William Howard Taft, to succeed him in the presidency, after leaving office, Roosevelt went on safari in Africa and toured Europe.
Returning to the United States, he became frustrated with Tafts approach, failing to win the Republican presidential nomination in 1912, Roosevelt founded his own party, the Progressive, so-called Bull Moose Party, and called for wide-ranging progressive reforms. The split among Republicans enabled the Democrats to win both the White House and a majority in the Congress in 1912, Republicans aligned with Taft nationally would control the Republican Party for decades. Frustrated at home, Roosevelt led an expedition to the Amazon basin. During World War I, he opposed President Woodrow Wilson for keeping the country out of the war, and offered his military services, although planning to run again for president in 1920, Roosevelt suffered deteriorating health and died in early 1919. Roosevelt has consistently ranked by scholars as one of the greatest American presidents. Historians admire Roosevelt for rooting out corruption in his administration, but are critical of his 1909 libel lawsuits against the World and his face was carved into Mount Rushmore, alongside those of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abraham Lincoln.
Theodore Roosevelt Jr. was born on October 27,1858, at East 20th Street in New York City and he was the second of four children born to socialite Martha Stewart Mittie Bulloch and glass businessman and philanthropist Theodore Roosevelt Sr
Pierpont M. Hamilton
Pierpont Morgan Hamilton was a general officer in the United States Air Force, and the scion of two illustrious families in American history. As a United States Army Air Forces officer in World War II, he was the recipient of the United States militarys highest decoration, the Medal of Honor. Hamilton and Col. Demas T. Hamilton was born in Tuxedo Park, New York on August 3,1898, to William Pierson Hamilton and his siblings included Helen Morgan Hamilton, Laurens Morgan Hamilton, Alexander Morgan Hamilton, and Elizabeth Hamilton. He attended the Groton School and Harvard University, where he attained both his bachelors and masters degree. Illness prevented him from sailing with his detachment, and he was reassigned to training at Ellington Field, Texas. On May 9,1918 he received his Reserve Military Aviator rating and was commissioned as a First Lieutenant in the Signal Officers Reserve Corps, Hamilton served in the Air Service as an instructor in aerial navigation, meteorology and officer-in-charge of bombing instruction at Ellington Field.
Hamilton was promoted to captain on September 21,1918, on December 31,1918, he was honorably discharged from service. Hamilton married Marie Louise Blair, daughter of C, ledyard Blair, on September 11,1919. The wedding was held near Bernardsville, New Jersey, with a reception at Blairsden Mansion. They had three children before divorcing, Philip and Ian and he married Rebecca Stickney on January 3,1930. The second marriage ended in divorce, with no children. His third and final marriage was on August 20,1946 to Norah Goldsmith Soutter, Hamilton adopted her son Harold Moon from a previous marriage, and was a devoted stepfather to her son Nicholas Soutter, from her marriage to Lamar Soutter. In the interwar years, he engaged in banking, lived in France for several years. He operated a commercial development business of patents and processes in sound, in World War II, Hamilton applied for reappointment to the Army and was commissioned a major, Air Corps, on March 2,1942. His first assignment was duty with the A-2 Division, Army Air Forces Headquarters.
In September 1942 he returned to Washington to discuss the plan for the North African assault with the general of the Western Task Force. A month he was appointed Assistant Chief of Staff of Maj. Gen. Lucian K. Truscotts Force Goalpost, conducting the assault on western French Morocco. He was joined in the mission by Col. Demas T. Craw, when Truscott expressed misgivings about the mission, Craw convinced him to allow them to continue
Books are provided either by publishers and authors, through the Google Books Partner Program, or by Googles library partners, through the Library Project. Additionally, Google has partnered with a number of publishers to digitize their archives. The Publisher Program was first known as Google Print when it was introduced at the Frankfurt Book Fair in October 2004, the Google Books Library Project, which scans works in the collections of library partners and adds them to the digital inventory, was announced in December 2004. But it has criticized for potential copyright violations. As of October 2015, the number of scanned book titles was over 25 million, Google estimated in 2010 that there were about 130 million distinct titles in the world, and stated that it intended to scan all of them. Results from Google Books show up in both the universal Google Search as well as in the dedicated Google Books search website, if Google believes the book is still under copyright, a user sees snippets of text around the queried search terms.
All instances of the terms in the book text appear with a yellow highlight. The four access levels used on Google Books are, Full view, Books in the domain are available for full view. In-print books acquired through the Partner Program are available for full view if the publisher has given permission, the publisher can set the percentage of the book available for preview. Users are restricted from copying, downloading or printing book previews, a watermark reading Copyrighted material appears at the bottom of pages. All books acquired through the Partner Program are available for preview and this could be because Google cannot identify the owner or the owner declined permission. If a search term appears many times in a book, Google displays no more than three snippets, thus preventing the user from viewing too much of the book. Also, Google does not display any snippets for certain reference books, such as dictionaries, Google maintains that no permission is required under copyright law to display the snippet view.
No preview, Google displays search results for books that have not been digitized, in effect, this is similar to an online library card catalog. Google stated that it would not scan any in-copyright books between August and 1 November 2005, to provide the owners with the opportunity to decide which books to exclude from the Project. It can let Google scan the book under the Library Project and it can opt out of the Library Project, in which case Google will not scan the book. If the book has already been scanned, Google will reset its access level as No preview and this information is collated through automated methods, and sometimes data from third-party sources is used. This information provides an insight into the book, particularly useful when only a view is available
Brattle Street (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
As a fashionable address it is doubtful if any other residential street in this country has enjoyed such long and uninterrupted prestige. Where the current Ash Street intersects the current Brattle Street stood Newe Townes West Gate, during the 18th century, seven mansions were built along the main road to Watertown. Because many of their owners were Loyalists during the American Revolution and after the Revolution, many were confiscated by George Washingtons army. Some of these were, restored to the families of their former owners, even as the Tory Row mansions were being built, the forest remained a nearby presence in Cambridge. As late as 1759, a Harvard student writing home reported many bears killed at Cambridge and the neighboring towns about this time, in the same year,1759, the house at 105 Brattle Street was built, of which more below. Provincial militia leader William Brattle, at one time the wealthiest man in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, is thought to be the Brattle for whom the street was named and he had the house at 42 Brattle Street built for him in 1727.
Brattle tried to keep peace between patriots and the British, but after the 1774 incident known as the Powder Alarm and she has left a charming painting in words of the Tory society on Brattle Street before the Revolution came, Never had I chanced upon such an agreeable situation. This ruinous war separated them, and left all their houses desolate, another Loyalist who fled Cambridge in 1774 was John Vassall, owner of the handsome yellow Georgian house at 105 Brattle Street, built for him in 1759. This vacant house was turned over in 1775 to George Washington, Washington used the rooms at the buildings southeast corner and down, for his private apartments, where his wife Martha Washington joined him in December,1775. Washington lived in the house until July 1776, Longfellow proudly wrote to a friend, I live in a great house which looks like an Italian villa, have two large rooms opening into each other. They were once Gen. Washingtons chambers, in 1843, Longfellow was given the house as a wedding gift by his father-in-law Nathan Appleton, when Longfellow married Nathans daughter Frances.
The price of the house at that time was $10,000, longfellows wife Frances, called Fanny, was the first American woman to receive anesthesia during childbirth, giving birth in the house at 105 Brattle Street. Longfellow and his wife Frances had two sons as well as the three daughters memorialized in his 1860 poem The Childrens Hour as grave Alice, and laughing Allegra, and Edith with golden hair. During the early days of the 19th century, Brattle Street saw just a few houses added to the Tory Row mansions on its side, while the south side was still meadow-land. As a result, the Brattle Street of today is different from the original Watertown highway and this is why Elmwood, one of the seven original Tory Row mansions no longer has a Brattle Street address. Over these marshes, level as water, but without its glare, and with softer and more soothing gradations of perspective, to your left hand, upon the Old Road, you saw some half-dozen dignified old houses of the colonial time, all comfortably fronting southward.
There is no sound, unless a horseman clatters over the loose planks of the bridge, as the 19th century lengthened, Brattle Street continued to attract wealthy families who built houses in the newest architectural styles, such as Greek Revival, Stick style, and Colonial Revival. The Shingle style Mary Fiske Stoughton House at 90 Brattle Street has been called the best suburban wooden house in America, comparable only to the finest of Frank Lloyd Wrights
Massachusetts Avenue (metropolitan Boston)
Massachusetts Avenue, known to locals as Mass Ave, is a major thoroughfare in Boston and several cities and towns northwest of Boston. According to Boston magazine, Its 16 miles of blacktop run from gritty industrial zones to verdant suburbia, passing gentrified brownstones, college campuses, after Harvard Square it turns sharply northward, passes Harvard Law School, passes through Porter Square, where it bears northwestward. It continues through North Cambridge and Lexington, where it enters the Minuteman National Historical Park, the road, by the same name, continues northwest and west, through many different cities and towns. It largely parallels or joins Route 2 and Route 2A, all the way into central Massachusetts, for much of its length, Massachusetts Avenue is a center of commercial activity, especially through the larger towns. Apartments and restaurants fill both sides of it, and there is a lot of pedestrian traffic, a number of linear parks cut across various portions of Mass. Boston Cambridge Arlington Lexington Concord Acton Boxborough Harvard Lunenburg signs Route 2A as Mass Ave, on the night of April 18–19,1775, Paul Revere rode his horse down a portion of this road on his Midnight Ride.
On April 18–19,1775, William Dawes and Samuel Prescott rode on portions of road on their way to Concord. Massachusetts Avenue was formed at the end of the century from what were separate roads. In Boston the road was previously called East Chester Park south of Chester Square, across the river in Cambridge the road follows part of what was once Front Street near the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and follows the former Main Street to Harvard Square. From Harvard Square to the Arlington line at Alewife Brook it follows what had been North Avenue since 1838, and prior to that the Road to Menotomy. In Arlington it follows the former Arlington Avenue, and in Lexington it follows the former Main Street south of the Battle Green, Massachusetts Avenue is served with direct connections for a number of the MBTAs bus and subway routes between Lexington and Boston. An additional stop at Arlington Center was mooted during the 1980s Red Line extension, two MBTA Commuter Rail stations are located on Massachusetts Avenue, Porter in Cambridge and Newmarket at the South Bay Shopping Center in Dorchester.
Fenway Theatre Cyclist places potted plants on Mass