Clemson, South Carolina
Clemson is a city in Pickens and Anderson counties in the U. S. state of South Carolina. Clemson is home to Clemson University, in 2015 the Princeton Review cited the town of Clemson as ranking #1 in the United States for town-and-gown relations with its resident university, the population of the city was 13,905 at the 2010 census. Clemson is part of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, South Carolina Combined Statistical Area, most of the city is in Pickens County, which is part of the Greenville-Mauldin-Easley Metropolitan Statistical Area. A small portion is in Anderson County, which is part of the Anderson Metropolitan Statistical Area, the city of Clemsons character is largely defined by Clemson University, a large public university that dates to 1889. The university is the center of the city, even though a small multi-block downtown with housing, retail. The community was originally named Calhoun and was renamed Clemson in 1943, although the university provides housing for students, many students live off campus in a wide variety of apartment complexes.
Save for the downtown, sidewalks are largely absent, but some streets have bike paths, U. S. Route 123 on the northern end of the city exhibits typical suburban-style shopping center developments. The citys comprehensive plan has a historic preservation component which will become more important as 1950s and 60s buildings acquire historic status. The Clemson Depot, built in 1893, was rehabilitated in 2001 and now houses the chamber of commerce. A road project has closed the station as of 2016, with no completion date. Clemson University was built on Fort Hill Plantation in 1889 and this was home to John C. Calhoun and eventually became the home of Clemson University. Clemson University was built due to the influence of the women in succession of the Fort Hill Plantation and it all began with Floride, Calhoun’s wife, whose mother had originally purchased the estate. Floride became the owner of Fort Hill when her died in 1836. In the meantime and John C. Calhoun had a daughter named Anna Maria, Anna Maria eventually married Thomas Green Clemson at the age of 21.
After their marriage, John C. Calhoun died in 1850, because Anna Maria was the only living child, she inherited a part of Fort Hill when Floride died in 1866. Anna Maria gave Thomas G. Clemson a portion of the property in her will, when she died in 1875, he inherited the plantation. It was Anna Maria who wished to use the land to build a college, so when Thomas Green died in 1888. Clemson is located at 34°41′6″N 82°48′53″W approximately 27 miles west of downtown Greenville and 15 miles north of Anderson, the city is situated near the northwestern corner of South Carolina in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains while on the shores of Lake Hartwell
Ohio University is a large, primarily residential, public research university in Athens, United States. One of Americas oldest universities, the second oldest in Ohio, it was chartered in 1787 and approved in 1804, as of 2014, the Athens campus had 23,300 students, the other five campuses had approximately 10,000, and eLearning 5,900. The Heritage College of Medicine maintains its separate select admissions criteria, Ohio University offers more than 250 areas of undergraduate study. On the graduate level, the university grants masters degrees in many of its academic divisions. Ohio University is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching classifies Ohio as a Research University under the Basic Classification category. Ohios athletic teams are called the Bobcats and compete in the National Collegiate Athletic Association at the Division I level as members of the Mid-American Conference. Ohio football has participated in ten games through the 2016 season.
George Washington stated the settlement of southeastern Ohio was not accidental, but the result of the deliberation of wise, prudent. The Confederation Congress, which operated under the Articles of Confederation, executive roles transacted from committees of Congress or appointed persons. The Ordinance of 1787 made Ohio University the first ever to be chartered through acts of Congress and this epithet is engraved on the universitys main college gateway. The university was appropriated and envisioned by Manasseh Cutler, credited as the founder along with Rufus Putnam. Cutler had served as a chaplain in Washingtons Continental Army, the institutions first name was American University. President Thomas Jeffersons policy initiatives included an expansion of the new nation. In 1802 approval was granted by the government for the establishment of the American Western University. Ohio University was recognized by the new state on February 18,1804 and this approval came eleven months after Ohio was admitted to the Union.
The first three students enrolled in 1809, the university graduated two students with bachelors degrees in 1815. The university was not gifted by the stalwart Republicans with lands and monies for the agricultural, the 20th century brought unprecedented growth in student enrollment, academic offerings, and research facilities. Between 1955 and 1970, the university realized a tripling of enrollment in the post-World War II expansion of college education
University of Mississippi
The University of Mississippi is an American public research university located in Oxford, Mississippi. It is the state of Mississippis flagship and largest university, with an enrollment of 24,250 in fall 2016. It is both a sea-grant and space-grant institution and is classified as an R1, Doctoral University — Highest Research Activity. Across all its campuses, it comprises approximately 2,200 faculty members,10,600 staff members, and 24,000 students, and has a total budget of roughly $2 billion. About 55 percent of its undergraduates and 60 percent overall come from Mississippi, the Mississippi Legislature chartered the University of Mississippi on February 24,1844. The university opened its doors to its first class of 80 students four years in 1848, for 23 years, the university was Mississippis only public institution of higher learning, and for 110 years it was the states only comprehensive university. When the university opened, the campus consisted of six buildings, constructed from 1846 to 1848, the Lyceum is the oldest building on campus.
Originally, the Lyceum housed all of the classrooms and faculty offices of the university, the buildings north and south wings were added in 1903, and the Class of 1927 donated the clock above the eastern portico. The Lyceum is now the home of the administration offices. The columned facade of the Lyceum is represented on the official crest of the university, in 1854, the university established the fourth state-supported, public law school in the United States, and began offering engineering education. With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, classes were interrupted when almost the entire student body from the University of Mississippi enlisted in the Confederate army. The Lyceum was used as a hospital during the Civil War for both Union and Confederate soldiers, especially those who were wounded at the battle of Shiloh, two hundred-fifty soldiers who died in the campus hospital were buried in a cemetery on the grounds of the university. During the post-war period, the university was led by former Confederate general A. P.
Stewart and he served as Chancellor from 1874-1886. The university became coeducational in 1882 and was the first such institution in the Southeast to hire a female faculty member, Sarah McGehee Isom, the student yearbook was published for the first time in 1897. A contest was held to solicit suggestions for a title from the student body. Elma Meek, a student, submitted the entry of Ole Miss. Meeks source for the term is unknown, some historians theorize she made a diminutive of old Mississippi or derived the term from ol missus and this sobriquet was not only chosen for the yearbook, but became the name by which the university was informally known. Ole Miss is defined as the schools intangible spirit, which is separate from the tangible aspects of the university, the university began medical education in 1903, when the University of Mississippi School of Medicine was established on the Oxford campus
Auburn University is a public research university in Auburn, United States. Auburn was chartered on February 1,1856, as East Alabama Male College, in 1872, under the Morrill Act, it became the states first public land-grant university and was renamed as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1892, it became the first four-year coeducational school in Alabama, in 1960, its name was changed to Auburn University to acknowledge the varied academic programs and larger curriculum of a major university. In 1964, under Federal Court mandate, AU admitted its first African American student, Auburn is among the few American universities designated as a land-grant, sea-grant, and space-grant research center. The Alabama Legislature chartered the institution as the East Alabama Male College on February 1,1856 and its first president was Reverend William J. Sasnett, and the school opened its doors in 1859 to a student body of eighty and a faculty of ten. Auburns early history is linked with the Civil War and the Reconstruction-era South.
Classes were held in Old Main until the college was closed due to the war, the campus was a training ground for the Confederate Army, and Old Main served as a hospital for Confederate wounded. It sits today on the next to Samford Hall. The school reopened in 1866 after the end of the Civil War, in 1872, control of the institution was transferred from the Methodist Church to the State of Alabama for financial reasons. Alabama placed the school under the provisions of the Morrill Act as a land-grant institution and this act provided for 240,000 acres of Federal land to be sold to provide funds for an agricultural and mechanical school. As a result, in 1872 the school was renamed the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama, under the Acts provisions, land-grant institutions were supposed to teach military tactics and train officers for the United States military. In the late 19th century, most students at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama were enrolled in the program, learning military tactics.
Each county in the state was allowed to nominate two cadets to attend the free of charge. The universitys original curriculum focused on engineering and agriculture and this trend changed under the guidance of William Leroy Broun, who taught classics and sciences and believed both disciplines were important for growth of the university and the individual. In 1892, two events occurred, women were admitted to the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama. Eventually, football replaced polo as the sport on campus. The college was renamed the Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1899, largely because of Brouns influence, on October 1,1918, nearly all of Alabama Polytechnic Institutes able-bodied male students 18 or older voluntarily joined the United States Army for short-lived military careers on campus. The student-soldiers numbered 878, according to API President Charles Thach, the vocational section was composed of enlisted men sent to Auburn for training in radio and mechanics
James Howard Meredith is a Civil Rights Movement figure, political adviser and Air Force veteran. Inspired by President John F. Kennedys inaugural address, Meredith decided to exercise his constitutional rights and his goal was to put pressure on the Kennedy administration to enforce civil rights for African Americans. He did not want major civil rights organizations involved, the second day, he was shot by a white gunman and suffered numerous wounds. Leaders of major organizations vowed to complete the march in his name after he was taken to the hospital, while Meredith was recovering, more people from across the country became involved as marchers. He rejoined the march and when Meredith and other leaders entered Jackson on June 26, they were leading an estimated 15,000 marchers, in what was the largest civil rights march in Mississippi. During the course of it, more than 4,000 African Americans had registered to vote, in 2002 and again in 2012, the University of Mississippi led year-long series of events to celebrate the 40th and 50th anniversaries of Merediths integration of the institution.
He was among numerous speakers invited to the campus, where a statue of him commemorates his role, the Lyceum-The Circle Historic District at the center of the campus has been designated as a National Historic Landmark for these events. Meredith was born in 1933 in Kosciusko, the son of Roxie and he is of African-American, British Canadian and Choctaw heritage. European traders intermarried with some Choctaw during the colonial period and those in the state had unions with European Americans and African Americans, adding to the multi-racial population in the developing territory. After attending local schools and graduating high school, Meredith enlisted in the United States Air Force. He served from 1951 to 1960, afterward Meredith attended Jackson State University for two years, achieving good grades. In 1961, inspired the day before by President John F. Kennedy, he started to apply to the University of Mississippi, Meredith wrote in his application that he wanted admission for his country, race and himself.
He said, Nobody handpicked me. I believed, and believe now, I am familiar with the probable difficulties involved in such a move as I am undertaking and I am fully prepared to pursue it all the way to a degree from the University of Mississippi. During this time, he was advised by Medgar Evers, who was head of the chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. On May 31,1961, with backing of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the case went through many hearings, after which the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit ruled that Meredith had the right to be admitted to the state school. The state appealed to the U. S. Supreme Court, on September 13,1962, the District Court entered an injunction directing the members of the Board of Trustees and the officials of the University to register Meredith. The Democratic Governor of Mississippi, Ross Barnett, declared no school will be integrated in Mississippi while I am your governor. The state legislature passed a law that denied admission to any person “who has a crime of moral turpitude against him” or who had been convicted of any felony offense or not pardoned
College is an educational institution or a constituent part of one. A college may be a tertiary educational institution, a part of a collegiate or federal university. In ancient Rome a collegium was a club or society, a group of living together under a common set of rules. Aside from the educational context - nowadays the most common use of college - there are various other meanings derived from the original Latin term. In the United States, college can be a synonym for university, in Singapore and India, this is known as a junior college. The municipal government of the city of Paris uses the sixth form college as the English name for a lycée. In some national education systems, secondary schools may be called colleges or have college as part of their title, in Australia the term college is applied to any private or independent primary and, secondary school as distinct from a state school. Melbourne Grammar School, Cranbrook School and The Kings School, there has been a recent trend to rename or create government secondary schools as colleges.
In the state of Victoria, some high schools are referred to as secondary colleges. Interestingly, the pre-eminent government secondary school for boys in Melbourne is still named Melbourne High School, in Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory, college is used in the name of all state high schools built since the late 1990s, and some older ones. In New South Wales, some schools, especially multi-campus schools resulting from mergers, are known as secondary colleges. In Queensland some newer schools which accept primary and high school students are styled state college, in Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory, college refers to the final two years of high school, and the institutions which provide this. In this context, college is an independent of the other years of high school. Here, the expression is a version of matriculation college. This is because these schools have traditionally focused on academic, rather than vocational, subjects. Some private secondary schools choose to use the college in their names nevertheless.
Some secondary schools elsewhere in the country, particularly ones within the school system. In New Zealand the word normally refers to a secondary school for ages 13 to 17
It is one of the seven heavenly virtues. Diligent behavior is indicative of an ethic, a belief that work is good in itself. Bernard et al. suggest diligence in a student is defined as an effort he or she puts towards balanced and they find diligence in students is correlated with academic performance. This is especially found in younger students, the support of parents and educators encourages students to be diligent. Other factors which encourage diligence in students include motivation, concentration, the last words of the Buddha were Strive on with diligence. Diligence is an part of all Buddhist teaching, and is considered the fourth of the pāramitā. In Mahayana tradition diligence is the third pāramitā and the first which is said to lead to liberation, the practice of diligence will bring an increase of qualities. Diligence, in Christianity, is the effort to do part, while keeping faith. In other words and faith are two sides of a mystery, one doesn’t know how, despite ones effort, it all works out.
But diligence when combined with faith assures spiritual success, Diligence as one of seven virtues describes thoroughness and persistence of an action, particularly in matters of faith. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end and we do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised. That man can have nothing but what he strives for, That his striving will soon come in sight, according to Brian Hatcher, the precepts of Hinduism require a human being to discover and live a dharmic life. To live a life, one must live with right intention with diligence. The Hindus celebrate Diwali, a festival of lights, where Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped and these characteristics are considered by Hindus as essential for success and Shubh Labh. Who so performeth – diligent, content – the work allotted him, whatever it be, due diligence is the necessary amount of diligence required in a professional activity to avoid being negligent.
This commonly arises in major acquisitions where the principle of caveat emptor requires the purchaser to make a diligent survey of the property or service. Quotations related to Diligence at Wikiquote The dictionary definition of diligence at Wiktionary
A virtue is a trait or quality that is deemed to be morally good and thus is valued as a foundation of principle and good moral being. Personal virtues are characteristics valued as promoting collective and individual greatness, the opposite of virtue is vice. The four classic cardinal virtues are, prudence, Christianity derives the three theological virtues of faith and love from 1 Corinthians. Together these make up the seven virtues, Buddhisms four brahmavihara can be regarded as virtues in the European sense. The Japanese Bushidō code is characterized by up to ten virtues, including rectitude, for Immanuel Kant a person is virtuous when they act in accordance with moral principles. During Egyptian civilization, Maat or Maat, spelled māt or mayet, was the ancient Egyptian concept of truth, order, law and justice. Maat was personified as a goddess regulating the stars, the deities set the order of the universe from chaos at the moment of creation. Her counterpart was Isfet, who symbolized chaos, some scholars consider either of the above four virtue combinations as mutually reducible and therefore not cardinal.
It is unclear whether multiple virtues were of construct, in his work Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle defined a virtue as a point between a deficiency and an excess of a trait. The point of greatest virtue lies not in the exact middle, the virtuous action is not simply the mean between two opposite extremes. This is not simply splitting the difference between two extremes, for example, generosity is a virtue between the two extremes of miserliness and being profligate. Further examples include, courage between cowardice and foolhardiness, and confidence between self-deprecation and vanity, in Aristotles sense, virtue is excellence at being human. Seneca, the Roman Stoic, said that perfect prudence is indistinguishable from perfect virtue, thus, in considering all consequences, a prudent person would act in the same way as a virtuous person. The same rationale was expressed by Plato in Meno, when he wrote that only act in ways that they perceive will bring them maximum good. It is the lack of wisdom that results in the making of a bad choice instead of a prudent one, in this way, wisdom is the central part of virtue.
Plato realized that because virtue was synonymous with wisdom it could be taught and he added correct belief as an alternative to knowledge, proposing that knowledge is merely correct belief that has been thought through and tethered. The term virtue itself is derived from the Latin virtus, and had connotations of manliness, worthiness of deferential respect, most Roman concepts of virtue were personified as a numinous deity. The primary Roman virtues, both public and private, Auctoritas – spiritual authority – the sense of social standing, built up through experience, Pietas
West Virginia University
West Virginia University is a public, land-grant, space-grant, research-intensive university in Morgantown, West Virginia, United States. WVU Extension Service provides outreach with offices in all of West Virginias 55 counties, since 2001, WVU has been governed by the West Virginia University Board of Governors. Enrollment for the Fall 2015 semester was 28,776 for the main campus, WVU offers 191 bachelors, masters and professional degree programs in 15 colleges. WVU has produced 24 Rhodes Scholars, including former WVU president David C, the University has produced 36 Goldwater Scholars,22 Truman Scholars, and five members of USA Todays All‑USA College Academic First Team. On December 4,1868, lawmakers renamed the college West Virginia University to represent a range of higher education. The University was built on the grounds of three academies, the Monongalia Academy of 1814, the Morgantown Female Academy of 1831. Upon its founding, the newspaper claimed that a place more eligible for the quiet and successful pursuit of science.
The first campus building was constructed in 1870 as University Hall, and was renamed Martin Hall in 1889 in honor of West Virginia Universitys first president, the Rev. Alexander Martin of Scotland. After the Woodburn Seminary building was destroyed by fire in 1873, the name was changed to University Building in 1878, when the College of Law was founded as the first professional school in the state of West Virginia. The precursor to Woodburn Circle was finished in 1893 when Chitwood Hall was constructed on the north side. In 1909 a north wing was added to University Building, throughout the next decade, Woodburn Hall underwent several renovations and additions, including the construction of the south wing and east tower housing the Seth Thomas clock. The three Woodburn Circle buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, in 1899, the Vance Farm was acquired for the West Virginia University Experiment Station. WVU was required to have a Cadet Corps under the terms of the Morrill Act of 1862, the heavy military influence led to opposition of female enrollment that lasted through the first decade of the university.
The trend changed in 1889, when ten women were allowed to enroll, in June 1891, Harriet Lyon became the first woman to receive a degree from West Virginia University, finishing first in the class ahead of all male students. Lyons academic success supported the acceptance of women in the university as students, during the Universitys early years, daily chapel services and roll call for all students were mandatory, limiting time for student recreation. Following the removal of these obligations, students became active in activities and established many of the schools first athletic. Phi Kappa Psi was the first fraternity on campus, founded May 23,1890, while Kappa Delta, the first football team was formed in 1891, and the first basketball team appeared in 1903. The Universitys outlook at the turn of the 20th century was optimistic, the campus welcomed U. S. President William Howard Taft to campus for WVU President Thomas Hodgess inauguration in 1911
Jacksonville State University
Jacksonville State University is a regional public coeducational university located in Jacksonville, United States. In the Fall semester of 2011, JSU began offering the schools first doctoral degree, the university was founded as Jacksonville State Normal School, and in 1930 the name changed to Jacksonville State Teachers College, and again in 1957 to Jacksonville State College. The university began operating as Jacksonville State University in 1967, in 2008, the university celebrated its 125th anniversary. JSU currently has an enrollment of nearly 9,000 students, Jacksonville States Business School was ranked within the nations 90th percentile by the Princeton Review. The current University President is Dr. John M. Beehler, Jacksonville State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In addition,40 academic programs earned specialized programmatic accreditations and these programs include business, education and technology, social work, art, computer science and consumer science, and communication.
221 international students representing 73 countries were enrolled in the 2013-2014 academic year, the University has run its International House program, an international exchange program, for over 60 years. The institution that would become JSU was established on February 22,1883, the new school acquired the facilities and equipment of Calhoun College, which consisted of 12 acres of land and a two-story brick building and which closed upon its acquisition by the SNS. The Board of Directors elected James C, ryals Jr. as first president of the SNS at Jacksonville in 1883. Ryals, a native of Bartow County, opened the new school with three instructors. His tenure, was short, on April 18,1885, at the age of 30, a few days later, the Board of Directors named J. Harris Chappell, a faculty member of the Columbus Female Academy, to complete Ryalss term. After presenting diplomas to the first class in 1886, Chappell left for another post, and faculty member Carleton Bartlett Gibson, Gibson served as president until 1892, when J. B.
Jarrett took over for a brief time. In 1893, Jacob Forney IV, a Jacksonville native and an alumnus of the very first graduating class. The act provided that the schools would serve as teacher training schools for the SNS. Forneys brother-in-law Clarence W. Daugette, a teacher at the school. In 1920, the school established extension programs that enabled teachers to take classes at more convenient times. In 1921, the Alabama State Legislature appropriated funds to construct a building that is now called Kilby Hall, Forney Hall, the mens dormitory, was built on adjacent property in 1927. A significant change came in 1929 when the became a four-year institution and was renamed the State Teachers College
Skull and crossbones (symbol)
A skull and crossbones is a symbol consisting of a human skull and two long bones crossed together under the skull. The design originates in the Late Middle Ages as a symbol of death, in modern contexts, it is generally used as a hazard symbol that warns of danger, usually in regard to poisonous substances, such as deadly chemicals. Unicode uses U+2620 ☠ SKULL AND CROSSBONES for the symbol, the symbol originates with the medieval Danse Macabre symbolism. By the 15th century, the symbol had developed into its familiar form and it came to be used specifically to mark the entrances of Spanish cemeteries, and has been used to mark poison and other dangerous liquids and powders since the 19th century. The skull and bones are used in military insignia, e. g. in coats of arms of some military regiments. In 1829, New York State required the labeling of all containers of poisonous substances, the skull and crossbones symbol appears to have been used for that purpose since the 1850s. Previously a variety of motifs had been used, including the Danish + + +, for this reason, in the United States there has been a proposal to replace the skull and crossbones by the Mr.
Yuk symbol. This means that the name and graphic image cannot be used without a license from the owner—unlike the Skull and crossbones, ossuary Danse Macabre Hazard symbol Human skull symbolism Jolly Roger Mr. Yuk Totenkopf