Ferrari 195 S
See the 195 Inter grand tourer The 195 S was a racing sports car produced by Ferrari in 1950. Introduced at the Giro di Sicilia on April 2,1950, the two cars, one open and one closed coupe, shared that cars 2250 mm wheelbase but sported an enlarged 2.3 L version of the Colombo V12. These two initial cars were forced to retire, but three came to the Mille Miglia of that year, with the event won by the 195 S Touring coupe of Giannino Marzotto, Ferrari, A Complete Guide to All Models
The Ferrari 250 is a sports car built by Ferrari from 1953 to 1964. The companys most successful line, the 250 series included several variants. It was replaced by the 275 and the 330, most 250 road cars share the same two wheelbases,2,400 mm for short wheelbase and 2,600 mm for long wheelbase. Most convertibles used the SWB type, nearly all 250s share the same Colombo Tipo 125 V12 engine. At 2,953 cc, it was notable for its weight and impressive output of up to 300 PS in the Testa Rossa. The V12 weighed hundreds of less than its chief competitors — for example. Ferrari uses the displacement of a cylinder as the model designation. The light V12 propelled the small Ferrari 250 racing cars to numerous victories, typical of Ferrari, the Colombo V12 made its debut on the race track, with the racing 250s preceding the street cars by three years. The first 250 was the experimental 250 S berlinetta prototype entered in the 1952 Mille Miglia for Giovanni Bracco, the car was entered at Le Mans and in the Carrera Panamericana.
The 250 S used a 2,250 mm wheelbase with a Tuboscocca tubular trellis frame, suspension was by double wishbones at the front, with double longitudinal semi-elliptic springs locating the live axle at the rear. The car had the drum brakes and worm-and-sector steering typical of the period, the dry-sump 3.0 L engine used three Weber 36DCF carburettors and was mated directly to a five-speed manual transmission. Following the success of the 250 S in the Mille Miglia, Pinin Farina created coupé bodywork which had a small grille, compact tail and panoramic rear window, and the new car was launched as the 250 MM at the 1953 Geneva Motor Show. Carrozzeria Vignales open barchetta version was a design whose recessed headlights. The 250 MMs wheelbase was longer than the 250 S at 2,400 mm, the V12 engines dry sump was omitted from the production car, and the transmission was reduced by one gear. Power was increased to 240 PS, the four-cylinder 625 TF and 735 S replaced the V12-powered 250 MM in 1953. The 250 MMs race debut was at the 1953 Giro di Sicilia with privateer Paulo Marzotto, a Carrozzeria Morelli-bodied 250 MM barchetta driven by Clemente Biondetti came fourth in the 1954 Mille Miglia.
The 1954250 Monza was and unusual hybrid of the light four-cylinder 750 Monza, the model used the 250 engine in the short-wheelbase chassis from the 750 Monza. The first two used the Pininfarina barchetta shape of the 750 Monza and a one-off 500 Mondial, two more 250 Monzas were built by Carrozzeria Scaglietti, an early use of the now-familiar coachbuilder
Governments and private organizations have developed car classification schemes that are used for innumerable purposes including regulation and categorization, among others. This article details commonly used classification schemes in use worldwide, vehicles can be categorized in numerous ways. Regulatory agencies may establish a vehicle classification system for determining a tax amount, in the United Kingdom, a vehicle is taxed according to the vehicles construction, weight, type of fuel and emissions, as well as the purpose for which it is used. Other jurisdictions may determine vehicle tax based upon environmental principles, such as the user pays principle, another standard for road vehicles of all types that is used internationally, is ISO 3833-1977. In the United States, since 2010 the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety uses a scheme it has developed that takes into account a combination of both shadow and weight. The United States Federal Highway Administration has developed a scheme used for automatically calculating road use tolls.
There are two categories depending on whether the vehicle carries passengers or commodities. Vehicles that carry commodities are further subdivided by number of axles and number of units, the United States Environmental Protection Agency has developed a classification scheme used to compare fuel economy among similar vehicles. Passenger vehicles are classified based on a total interior passenger. Trucks are classified based upon their gross vehicle weight rating, heavy duty vehicles are not included within the EPA scheme. A similar set of classes is used by the Canadian EPA, in Australia, the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries publishes its own classifications. This is a table listing several different methods of vehicle classification. Straddling the boundary between car and motorbike, these vehicles have engines under 1.0 litre, typically only two passengers, and are sometimes unorthodox in construction. Some microcars are three-wheelers, while the majority have four wheels, microcars were popular in post-war Europe, where their appearance led them to be called Bubble cars.
More recent microcars are often electric powered, the size of ultracompact cars will be less than minicars, but have engine greater than 50cc displacement and able to transport 1 or 2 persons. Ultracompact cars cannot use standard, because of strict safety standards for minicars. The regulation about running capacity and safety performance of cars will be published in early autumn. Today, there are smaller than ultracompact cars, called category-1 motorized vehicles which it has 50cc displacement or less
Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout
In automotive design, an FR, or front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout is one where the engine is located at the front of the vehicle and driven wheels are located at the rear. This was the automobile layout for most of the 20th century. Modern designs commonly use the front-engine, front-wheel-drive layout, the first FR car was an 1895 Panhard model, so this layout was known as the Système Panhard in the early years. The layout has the advantage of minimizing mechanical complexity, as it allows the transmission to be placed in-line with the output shaft. In comparison, a vehicle with the engine over the driven wheels eliminates the need for the drive shaft, in order to reduce the relative weight of the drive shaft, the transmission was normally split into two parts, the gearbox and the final drive. The gearbox was produced with its highest gear being 1,1. The final drive, in the axle, would reduce this to the most appropriate speed for the wheels. As power is the product of torque and angular velocity, spinning the shaft faster for any given power reduces the torque, in an era when gasoline was cheap and cars were heavy, the mechanical advantages of the FR drivetrain layout made up for any disadvantage in weight terms.
It remained almost universal among car designs until the 1970s, after the Arab oil embargo of 1973 and the 1979 fuel crises, a majority of American FR vehicles were phased out for the FF layout – this trend would spawn the SUV-van conversion market. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, most American companies set as a priority the eventual removal of rear-wheel drive from their mainstream, chrysler went 100% FF by 1990 and GMs American production went entirely FF by 1997 except the Corvette and Camaro. This configuration is referred to as a transaxle since the transmission. In Europe, front-wheel drive was popularized by small cars like the Mini, Renault 5 and Volkswagen Golf, upscale marques like Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Jaguar remained mostly independent of this trend, and retained a lineup mostly or entirely made up of FR cars. Japanese mainstream marques such as Toyota were almost exclusively FR until the late 1970s, toyotas first FF vehicle was the Toyota Tercel, with the Corolla and Celica becoming FF while the Camry was designed as an FF from the beginning.
The Supra, Cressida and Century remained FR, luxury division Lexus has a mostly FR lineup. Subarus BRZ is an FR car, currently most cars are FF, including all front-engined economy cars, though FR cars are making a return as an alternative to large sport-utility vehicles. In North America, GM returned to production of FR-based luxury vehicles with the 2003 Cadillac CTS, as of 2012, all but the SRX and XTS are FR-based vehicles. Chevrolet reintroduced the FR-based Camaro in 2009, and the Caprice PPV in 2011, Pontiac had a short run with the FR-based G8 and Pontiac Solstice. A Chevrolet replacement for the G8 called the Chevrolet SS was released in 2013, chrysler and Dodge reintroduced the 300 and Charger on a FR platform
Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
The Pebble Beach Concours dElegance is an automotive charitable event held each year on the Pebble Beach Golf Links in Pebble Beach, considered the most prestigious event of its kind. It is the finale of Monterey Car Week held in August every year, a Concours dElegance is an event open to both prewar and postwar collector cars in which they are judged for authenticity, function and style. Classes are commonly arranged by type, coachbuilder, country of origin, judges select first-, second-, and third-place finishers for each class in the event, and the judges confer the Best of Show award on one car from the group of first-place winners. Approximately 15,000 spectators attend the event, the 1950 and 1951 Concours were held on a practice tee and driving range adjacent to the Beach Club, a private club near the Del Monte Lodge. Thirty cars were exhibited on November 4,1950, and a field of 23 on May 27,1951. In 1952, the event was moved to the 18th green of the Pebble Beach Golf Links, the Pebble Beach Concours dElegance has continued since 1950 with one missed year, in 1960, the show was cancelled due to scheduling conflicts.
In 2001, the event saw an introduction of a new category for preservation cars and this category was designed to bear witness to the passage of time, including the so-called barn find car. The 2006 event saw 175 cars lining the 18th green and hole of Pebble Beach Golf Links with 25 judged classes, with cars brought to Pebble Beach from 27 states and 13 countries. The event describes itself as Exhibiting prewar and postwar automobiles along with the latest in concept car designs, the Pebble Beach Concours dElegance is the premiere concours in the world. 24 of the 175 cars in the come from outside the U. S, representing Italy, France, Australia, Germany, Czech Republic, Netherlands. The total estimated cost of the vehicles spread across the 18th fairway at the 2006 event was US$200 million, from 227 cars in 2005, the 2006 event had a field reduced to 175 cars. Organizers said the change was made to more time to judge each car. In 2009, the Pebble Beach Concours included classic motorcycles for the first time under the theme of pre-1959 British Motorcycles, the Concours received the 2011 Motoring Event of the Year award by the International Historic Motoring Awards.
Each years Pebble Beach Concours honors a featured marque, prospective entrants must submit an application for each car, and the Concours field is selected from each years pool of applicants. Many collectors spend years and hundreds of thousands of dollars purchasing and restoring a car in hopes of being chosen, many of the competing cars are valued in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and more recently into the millions of dollars. To the repeat participants, their guests, and thousands of attendees, the proceeds of the Pebble Beach Concours dElegance have supported the United Way of Monterey County and the Pebble Beach Company Foundation for a combination of 56 years. It supports a number of local and national organizations. The 2016 event raised over $1.75 million, and the Concours has given more than $23 million to charities through the years
The Ferrari 275 is a series of two-seat front-engined V12-powered automobiles produced in GT, and spyder form by Ferrari between 1964 and 1968. The first Ferrari to be equipped with a transaxle, the 275 is powered by a 3.3 L Colombo 60° V12 engine that produces 280-300 hp, Pininfarina designed the GT and roadster bodies, Scaglietti the rare NART Spyder, among the most valuable of all Ferraris made. In a contemporary road test, Road & Track described it as the most satisfying car in the world. Motor Trend Classic named the 275 GTB gran turismo/GTS roadster as number three in their list of the ten Greatest Ferraris of all time, the 275 GTB/4 debuted in 1966. A much updated 275 GTB, the four overhead camshaft, six 2-barrel carbuerated 275 GTB/4 was named number seven on Sports Car Internationals 2004 list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s. The 275 GTB was a gran turismo automobile produced between 1964 and 1968 with a 3.3 litre Colombo 60-degree V-12 engine displacing 275 cc per cylinder. The standard 275 GTB coupe was produced by Scaglietti and was available with 3 or 6 Weber twin-choke carburettors and it was more of a pure sports car than the GT name suggested.
Some cars were built with a body instead of the standard steel body. A Series Two version with a longer nose appeared in 1965, for the 1965 racing season,4 lightweight 275 GTB Competizione Speciales, a prototype and three production models, were built and equipped with 250 LM engines. The design was by Pininfarina and the coachwork by Scaglietti, mauro Forghieri designed a special super-lightweight steel and aluminium version of the 275 GTB chassis. A regular suspension was fitted, but it was slightly stiffer by the addition of extra springs. In all, this focus on saving weight made a difference of over 150 kg compared to the alloy bodied road cars, like the four Competizione Speciales, the 275 GTB/C was powered by the 250 LM engine. Somehow Ferrari forgot to mention to the body that the 275 GTB had a six carburetor option. Specifically for the 275 GTB/C, Weber constructed the 40 DF13 carburetor of which three would replace the six 38 DCNs found on the 250 LM, the rest of the drivetrain was similar to the 275 GTB, but strengthened slightly.
Two of the twelve built were sold for street use, unlike the race cars, these street cars were fitted with alloy wheels shod with Pirelli tires. Competition cars were fitted with special Borrani wire wheels, shod with Dunlops latest racing tires and it was this combination that would prove to be the weak spot of the 275 GTB/C, the tires had so much grip that they could overstress and break the spokes on the wheels. After the 275 GTB/C, no competition Ferrari would be fitted with wire wheels again, a British-entered 275 GTB/C finished 8th overall, gaining class victory in the 196624 Hours of Le Mans. Pininfarina built 200275 GTS roadsters for the American market between 1964-1966 with entirely different bodywork, the 275 GTS was replaced by the 330 GTS, leaving no 3.3 L convertible in the range until the creation of the 275 GTB/4 NART Spider
Ferrari 125 S
See the Ferrari 125 F1, a Formula One race car sharing the same engine The Ferrari 125 S was the first vehicle produced and built by automaker Ferrari of Modena, Italy. Although preceded by Enzo Ferraris Auto Avio Costruzioni 815 of 1940, like the 815, it was a racing sports car, but unlike its Fiat-powered 8-cylinder predecessor, the 125 S featured a V12 engine, a trait it shared with most Ferrari cars of the following decades. The 125 S was replaced by the 159 S for 1947, the 125 S used a steel tube-frame chassis and had a double wishbone suspension with transverse leaf springs in front with a live axle in the rear. Hydraulic power drum brakes were specified front and rear, the 125 S was powered by Gioacchino Colombos 1.5 L 60° V12 with a bore/stroke of 55 x 52.5 mm. This engine produced 118 bhp at 6,800 rpm with a ratio of 9.5,1. It was an overhead camshaft design with 2 valves per cylinder. Enzo Ferrari wanted the 125 S to use a five-speed gearbox as it matched the high revving V12 better than that of a traditional four-speed gearbox.
Both of the two 125 S cars built in 1947 were dismantled, and their parts are thought to have been re-used in production of the 159 or 166 models, the chassis with serial number 010I was used in the restoration of a 125 S. It is rumored that 010I is actually s/n 01C, the story goes that 01C was re-stamped as 010I, and sold to a customer as a new car. Upon taking receipt of the car, the new owner immediately exclaimed, which means Test mule in Italian, as he could clearly see that his supposedly new car was in fact a used, well-raced car. Ferrari made a new invoice for the car, including a considerable rebate given the cars second-hand nature, still in 166 Spyder Corsa configuration, the car was recently sold to Symbolic Motors. Close inspection of the chassis and its serial number led to the discovery of an old stamping that could possibly read 01C and it had been covered by an aluminum plate which bore the serial number 010I. Subsequently, the car was sold to its current owner, who refitted the chassis with a similar to the factorys 125 S replica.
The alleged 01C made its debut at the Pebble Beach Concours dElegance. The 125 S debuted at the Circuito di Piacenza, driven by Franco Cortese, two weeks later, the 125 S claimed Ferraris first victory at the Grand Prix of Rome on the Terme di Caracalla Circuit, where it was driven by Cortese. The car had spun a bearing in practice, and was repaired in the shop of Tino Martinoli, the 125 S won six of its fourteen races in 1947, though drivers Clemente Biondetti and Giuseppe Navone were unable to win the 1947 Mille Miglia in it. Ferrari, A Complete Guide to All Models, Ferrari Overview by Production Year and Type 1947 -54
The Ferrari Daytona, officially designated the Ferrari 365 GTB/4, is a two-seat grand tourer produced by Ferrari from 1968 to 1973. It was introduced at the Paris Auto Salon in 1968 to replace the 275 GTB/4, the Daytona was succeeded by the mid-engined 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer in 1973. To this day, Ferrari itself only rarely refers to the 365 as the Daytona, unlike Lamborghinis then-new, mid-engined Miura, the Daytona was a traditional front-engined, rear-drive car. At a compression ratio of 9.3,1, it produced 357 PS, 0-60 mph acceleration was just 5.4 seconds. The five-speed manual transmission was mounted in the rear for optimal weight distribution, although a Pininfarina design, as with many previous Ferrari road cars styled by Leonardo Fioravanti, the 365 GTB/4 was radically different. Its sharp-edged styling resembled a Lamborghini more than a traditional Pininfarina Ferrari, early Daytonas featured fixed headlights behind an acrylic glass cover. A new U. S. safety regulation banning headlights behind covers resulted in retractable pop-up twin headlights in 1971, the generally accepted total number of Daytonas from the Ferrari club historians is 1,406 over the life of the model.
This figure includes 156 UK right-hand-drive coupés,122 factory-made spyders, all bodies except the first Pininfarina prototype were produced by Italian coachbuilder Scaglietti, which at the time already had a reputable record of working with Ferrari. Historically, and especially since the mid-1980s and early 1990s, there has mostly been a market price difference between a real berlinetta and a real spyder. Many berlinettas were turned into spyders by aftermarket mechanics, often to increase the monetary value or simply because of the owners preference for an open car. Differences in value have typically remained, even after the most skillful conversions, no Berlinettas were converted into Spyders by Scaglietti, Ferrari would not allow this, or now. The first racing version of the 365GTB/4 was prepared in 1969, Ferrari did not produce an official competition car until late in 1970. The official cars were built in three batches of five each, in 1970-1,1972 and 1973. They all featured a lightweight body making use of aluminium and fibreglass panels, the engine was unchanged from the road car in the first batch of competition cars, but tuned in the latter two batches.
The cars were not raced by the official Scuderia Ferrari team and they enjoyed particular success in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, with results including a 5th overall in 1971, followed by GT class wins in 1972,1973 and 1974. In 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4s took the first 5 places of the GT class, the final major success of the car was in 1979, when a 1973 car achieved a class victory in the 24 Hours of Daytona. In 1971, the Daytona gained fame when one was driven by Dan Gurney and Brock Yates in the inaugural Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash. Showcasing the cars potential for sustained high speed travel, the pair won with an speed of 80.1 miles per hour
Ferrari 375 F1
The first outcome of Lampredis work was the experimental 275 S. Just two of these racing barchettas were built, based on the 166 MM but using the experimental 3. 3-litre V12 and these were raced at the Mille Miglia of 1950 on April 23. Although one car held the lead for a time, both were forced to retire with mechanical failure before the end. The 275 F1 made its debut at the Grand Prix of Belgium on June 18, with three Weber 42DCF carburetors, a single overhead camshaft for each bank of cylinders, and two valves per cylinder, the engine produced a capable 300 hp at 7200 rpm. Alberto Ascari drove the car to place, marking the end of the 3. 3-litre engine. The 275 was replaced at the Grand Prix of Nations at Geneva on July 30,1950 by the 340 F1, as the name suggests, the car sported a larger 4. 1-litre version of Lampredis V12. Other changes included a new de Dion tube rear suspension based on that in the 166 F2 car and it had a longer 2,420 mm wheelbase, but other dimensions remained the same.
With 335 hp, Ascari was able to keep up with the Alfa Romeo 158 of Juan Manuel Fangio, although the 340 proved itself capable, it was only the middle step in Ferraris 1950 car development. Ferrari achieved the 4. 5-litre goal of the formula with the 375 F1 and this 4. 5-litre engine produced roughly the same power as its 4. 1-litre predecessor, but its tractability earned Ascari second place in that debut race. Ascaris wins at the Nürburgring and Monza and strong throughout the season cemented the companys position as a Formula One contender. Changes in the Formula One regulations led the company to shift the big engine to an Indy car, three new Weber 40IF4C carburettors brought power output to 400 hp, the wheelbase was lengthened, and the chassis and suspension were strengthened. Although the car performed well in European testing, it was not able to meet the American challenge, Ascari was the driver who did qualify the car for the race, starting 25th with a qualifying speed of 134.3 mp/h.
The big V12 was scrapped for 1954, as Formula One required a 2. 5-litre engine, the new 553 F1 adopted Lampredis four cylinder engine, leaving the V12 for sports car use. Ferrari, A Complete Guide to All Models
Ferrari 250 GT Lusso
The Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso is a GT car which was manufactured by Italian automaker Ferrari from 1963 to 1964. Sometimes known as the GTL, GT/L or just Lusso, it is larger, the 250 GT Lusso, which was not intended to compete in sports car racing, is considered to be one of the most elegant Ferraris. Keeping in line with the Ferrari tradition of that time, the 250 GT Lusso was designed by the Turinese coachbuilder Pininfarina, although the interior was more spacious than that of the 250 GT, the 250 GT Lusso remained a two-seat GT coupe, unlike the 250 GTE. The car was manufactured for only eighteen months, from early 1963 to mid 1964, auto shows often provide an opportunity for manufacturers to introduce new designs publicly. Ferrari did so at the 1962 Paris Motor Show to unveil, as a prototype, the prototype was almost identical to the production version, and only minor details changed thereafter. The new model was a way for Ferrari to fill a void left between the sporty 250 GT SWB and the luxurious 250 GTE 2+2, the Lusso met the new demands of the 1960s.
Indeed, fans of sporting driving of the time became as fond of civilized designs, Ferrari did not skimp on details in the GTL, which shows on the scales, weight ranged from 1,020 to 1,310 kg, depending on equipment. Unusually brief for a Ferrari model, GTLs production began January 1963, according to a longstanding American expert on Ferrari, Peter Coltrin, the construction of the 250 GT Lusso must have begun soon after the presentation of the prototype of the Paris Motor Show. Although it was not intended to compete, the 250 GT Lusso made a few appearances in several sporting events in 1964 and 1965, such as the Targa Florio and the Tour de France. The final iteration of the 250 GT series,351 copies of GT Lusso were produced before being replaced by the Ferrari 275 GTB, as usual, the company Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for the manufacturing of the body. The body was made of steel with the exception of the doors, boot lid, and bonnet, the stern of the body featured a small integrated spoiler, the 250 GTL became the first Ferrari to incorporate such aerodynamic appendages, concluding with an abrupt Kammback rear.
The short rear is characterized by a bezel that slopes down to the tail of the car, the glazed surfaces, including the rear window and triangular quarter windows, provided good visibility. As the car was only a two-seater, there was a fairly capacious boot space with a parcel shelf, while 250 GT Lusso was a civilized sport car, it was nevertheless recommended in preference to young and flexible passengers due to the fixed-position seatbacks. Despite this, the pedals were adjustable to 5 cm, as in the racing versions, five additional gauges were positioned in front of the driver, behind the three-spoke Nardi steering wheel made of wood and aluminum, placed almost vertically. Contrary to the 250 GTE 2+2 which had a wheelbase of 2.6 m, the chassis was adopted from the tubular structure of the 250 GTO, but with narrower tubes. The chassis could, according to Brian Laban, author of Ferrarissime, braking was provided by four-wheel disc brakes with hydraulic control, placed behind the polished aluminum Borrani wire wheels with single knockoffs.
Hosted by the V12 engine Colombo, it had a displacement of 2,953.21 cc, the 250 GT Lusso developed an output of 240 hp at 7,500 rpm and 242 N·m torque at 5,500 rpm. It was able attain a speed of 240 km/h, thus becoming the fastest passenger car of that period
Ferrari 250 GTO
The Ferrari 250 GTO is a GT car produced by Ferrari from 1962 to 1964 for homologation into the FIAs Group 3 Grand Touring Car category. It was powered by Ferraris Tipo 168/62 V12 engine, the 250 in its name denotes the displacement in cubic centimeters of each of its cylinders, GTO stands for Gran Turismo Omologato, Italian for Grand Touring Homologated. Just 39250 GTOs were manufactured between 1962 and 1964 and this includes 33 cars with 1962-63 bodywork, three with 1964 bodywork similar to the Ferrari 250 LM, and three 330 GTO specials with a larger engine. Four of the older 1962-1963 cars were updated in 1964 with Series II bodies, when new, the GTO cost $18,000 in the United States, with buyers personally approved by Enzo Ferrari and his dealer for North America, Luigi Chinetti. In May 2012 the 1962250 GTO made for Stirling Moss set a record selling price of $38,115,000. In October 2013, Connecticut-based collector Paul Pappalardo sold chassis number 5111GT to a buyer for a new record of around $52 million.
In 2004, Sports Car International placed the 250 GTO eighth on a list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s, Motor Trend Classic placed the 250 GTO first on a list of the Greatest Ferraris of All Time. Popular Mechanics named it the Hottest Car of All Time, the 250 GTO was designed to compete in GT racing, where its rivals would include the Shelby Cobra, Jaguar E-Type and Aston Martin DP214. The development of the 250 GTO was headed by chief engineer Giotto Bizzarrini, although Bizzarrini is usually credited as the designer of the 250 GTO, he and most other Ferrari engineers were fired in 1962 due to a dispute with Enzo Ferrari. Further development of the 250 GTO was overseen by new engineer Mauro Forghieri, the design of the car was a collaborative effort and cannot be ascribed to a single person. The mechanical aspects of 250 GTO were relatively conservative at the time of its introduction, using engine, the chassis of the car was based on that of the 250 GT SWB, with minor differences in frame structure and geometry to reduce weight and lower the chassis.
The car was built around a hand-welded oval tube frame, incorporating A-arm front suspension, rear live-axle with Watts linkage, disc brakes, the engine was the race-proven Tipo 168/62 Comp. 3.0 L V12 as used in the 250 Testa Rossa Le Mans winner, an all-alloy design utilizing a dry sump and six 38DCN Weber carburetors, it produced approximately 300 horsepower. The gearbox was a new 5-speed unit with Porsche-type synchromesh, Bizzarrini focused his design effort on the cars aerodynamics in an attempt to improve top speed and stability. The body design was informed by wind tunnel testing at Pisa University as well as road, the resulting all-aluminium bodywork had a long, low nose, small radiator inlet, and distinctive air intakes on the nose with removable covers. Early testing resulted in the addition of a rear spoiler, the underside of the car was covered by a belly pan and had an additional spoiler underneath formed by the fuel tank cover. The aerodynamic design of the 250 GTO was a technical innovation compared to previous Ferrari GT cars.
The bodies were constructed by Scaglietti, with the exception of early prototypes with bodies constructed in-house by Ferrari or by Pininfarina, Cars were produced in many colours, with the most famous being the bright red Rosso Cina
Ferrari 166 Inter
The Ferrari 166 Inter was Ferraris first true grand tourer. An evolution of the 125 S and 166 S racing cars, the Inter name commemorated the victories claimed in 166 S models by Scuderia Inter. 37166 Inters were built from 1948 through 1950, note that both the 166 S and 166 F2 were called 166 Inter in the days that they were actively raced by the Scuderia of the same name. The 166 Inter shared its Aurelio Lampredi-designed tube frame and double wishbone/live axle suspension and 2420 mm wheelbase with the 125 S and 166 S and it was replaced by the 2.3 L195 Inter and 2.6 L212 Inter in 1950 and 1951. The first Ferrari GT car debuted at the Paris Motor Show on October 6,1949 and it was an elegant coupe designed by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan who had previously created a number of similar Ferrari and Alfa Romeo models. Customer sales soon started, with 166 Inter models becoming the first Ferraris to be purchased for the rather than the race track. As was typical at the time, a chassis was delivered to the coachbuilder of the customers choice.
Many used Touring, but Ghias one-off Boano coupe was more daring, others were built by Stabilimenti Farina, who penned a Cisitalia 202-like coupe. Vignale joined in, presaging their designs of the coming decade, the 2.0 L Gioacchino Colombo-designed V12 engine from the 166 S remained, as did its chassis, though the wheelbase would eventually grow from 2420 mm to 2500 mm. Output was 110 to 140 hp at 6,000 rpm with one to three carburetors, Ferrari, A Complete Guide to All Models