1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment
This elite regiment is part of the 11th Parachute Brigade. In 1935, Russians successfully parachuted airborne contingents with various equipment, on April 1,1937, two Airborne Infantry Groups were created, the 601st at Reims and the 602nd at Baraki near Algiers. Both Airborne Groups conducted their infantry tranining respectively at the 95th Infantry Regiment in Bourges, in 1939, the 601st Airborne Infantry Group joined the 602nd at Baraki and conducted joint military airborne parachute maneuvers at Boghar, Algeria using the Potez 650. With the outbreak of World War II on September 1,1939, in April 1940, a Air Marching Infantry Company was formed, under the command of Captain Sauvagnac, which served in the Niederbronn-les-Bains region of Alsace. On August 25,1940, the German offensive of May 1940 pushed the company to Marseille-Mérignane. In March 1941, the 1re C. I. A or Air Infantry Company was formed from components of the two dissolved Airborne Infantry Groups, at Oued Smar near Algiers, the 1re CIA was renamed Air Company n°1 and commanded by Captain Sauvagnac.
In January 1943, following the landings in North Africa. Subsequently, the 1re C. I. A was transformed into the first battalion of parachute chasseurs n°1 under the command of Commandant Sauvagnac, on February 1,1943, the 1re C. I. On October 1943, the 1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment was attached to the U. S. 82nd Airborne Division, oldest French parachute regiment, the 1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment of the French Air Force illustrated capabilities during the Liberation combats. The regiment engaged in combat during the campaigns of Vosges and Alsace during World War II, during the final courses of the war, the 1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment of the French Air Force would be seen transferred to the French Army. On July 30,1947, the unit was separated as a regiment, the three parachute battalions engaged successively in airborne operations in and around the delta of Tonkin. The rapaces of the 1st Parachute Chasseur were the only ones dropped at night on Dien Bien Phu while encircled by Viêt-minh troops, the parachutes where submerged in water and doubled in weight.
We tried to remain small because bullets were whistling near our ears, the beginning of May 1954, the Viêt-minh troops gave way to the final assault. On the night of May 1 to May 2, the first, one week later, Eliane 4 fell and only 19 survivors all which were taken prisoners. Dien Bien Phu was lost and fell on May 7,1954, on November 1,1954, its Toussaint Rouge in Algeria. During the day at Arris, rebel terrorist groups intercepted a vehicle carrying dozens of Muslims. The rebel terrorists killed the Qaid and the two Europeans, the insurrectionary debuted and the first bombs exploded in Algiers, and all over Algeria counted thirty some coordinated suicides are targets. It was the commencement of a war torn era
2nd Infantry Division (United States)
The 2nd Infantry Division is a formation of the United States Army. Its current primary mission is the defense of South Korea in the stages of an invasion from North Korea until other American units can arrive. There are approximately 17,000 soldiers in the 2nd Infantry Division, with 10,000 of them stationed in South Korea, accounting for about 35% of the United States Forces Korea personnel. The 2nd Infantry Division is unique in that it is the only U. S. Army division that is made up partially of South Korean soldiers and this program began in 1950 by agreement with the first South Korean president, Syngman Rhee. Some 27,000 KATUSAs served with the U. S. forces at the end of the Korean War, as of May 2006, approximately 1,100 KATUSA soldiers serve with the 2ID. There were more than 3,000 Dutch soldiers assigned to the division between 1950 and 1954, combined Division, the division is augmented by rotational BCTs from the rest of the U. S. Armys divisions. The 2nd Division was first constituted on 21 September 1917 in the Regular Army and it was organized on 26 October 1917 at Bourmont, Haute Marne, France.
The division spent the winter of 1917–18 training with French and Scottish veterans, though judged unprepared by French tacticians, the American Expeditionary Force was committed to combat in the spring of 1918 in a desperate attempt to halt a German advance toward Paris. Major General Edward Mann Lewis Commanded the 3rd Brigade as they deployed to reinforce the battered French along the Paris to Metz road, the Division first fought at the Battle of Belleau Wood and contributed to shattering the four-year-old stalemate on the battlefield during the Château-Thierry campaign that followed. On 28 July 1918, Marine Corps Major General Lejeune assumed command of the 2nd Division and remained in that capacity until August 1919, the division went on to win hard-fought victories at Soissons and Blanc Mont. Finally the Indianhead Division participated in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive which ended any German hope for victory, on 11 November 1918 the Armistice was declared, and the 2nd Division entered Germany, where it assumed occupation duties until April 1919.
2nd Division returned to U. S. in July 1919, the 2nd Division was three times awarded the French Croix de guerre for gallantry under fire at Belleau Wood and Blanc Mont. This entitles current members of the division and of those regiments that were part of the division at time to wear a special lanyard, or fourragère. The division lost 1,964 killed in action and 9,782 wounded in action, third Battle of the Aisne Belleau Wood Château-Thierry campaign St. S. Government Printing Office,1950, pp. 510–592 and it remained there for the next 23 years, serving as an experimental unit, testing new concepts and innovations for the Army. Indianhead soldiers pioneered concepts of air mobility and anti-tank warfare, which served the army for the two decades on battlefields in every corner of the globe. The 2nd Division started participated in maneuvers at Christine, Texas between 3 and 27 January 1940 and it moved to Horton, Texas for maneuvers from 26 April to 28 May 1940, followed by maneuvers at Cravens, Louisiana from 16 to 23 August 1940.
It returned to Fort Sam Houston, where it continued training and refitting, until it moved to Brownwood, Texas for the VIII Corps maneuvers from 1 June through 14 June 1941 at Comanche, Texas
2-XL, is an educational toy robot that was marketed from 1978-1981 by the Mego Toy Corporation. The toy was re-introduced by Tiger Electronics in the 1990s, 2XL was the first smart-toy in that it exhibited rudimentary intelligence, game play, and responsiveness. It was infused with a personality that kept kids concentrating and challenged as they played and interacted with the robot and this made learning fun through use of jokes, funny sayings, and verbal reinforcements. During its time in the marketplace, and even to this day, 2XL is heralded as an important step in the development of toys and in particular. Two-decades after 2-XL was discontinued for manufacture, it is remembered by millions of fans. 2-XL was considered one of the top 10 toys ever developed by Playthings Magazine because it could educate, 2-XL was considered the first smart-toy and exhibited rudimentary intelligence, game play, and responsiveness. Dubbed the Toy with a Personality, 2-XL could respond verbally to the user depending upon which input or answer buttons were chosen.
2XL during its run was one of the most popular toys in terms of revenue and was dubbed the Talking Robot with a mind of its own. The toys voice was done by inventor Michael Freeman and it was a great way to make learning cool and fun. 2-XL was first introduced in 1978 by the Mego Toy company and it was brought back in 1992 by Tiger Electronics a division of the Mattel Corporation. Mego Corporation, a publicly traded US based toy company based in New York City was introduced the 2-XL toy to the public in 1978, the toy was sold in different countries and and the tapes were translated in seven foreign languages. Games were developed for the toy, in 1981, the toys popularity waned, and it was discontinued. Mego Corporation, that was known for its production of dolls and classic action figures in the 70s was seen as an innovator combining toys. The toys name literally meant To Excel, the toy was voice capable, was able to tell stories and sing using its special 8-track tapes. The toys tapes asked multiple choice questions based type of tape chosen according to its subject and this was operated by pushing a YES/NO button that changed the tracking of the tape.
It was crude, but reportedly innovative use of the technology that was present in that era, in 1992, 2-XL was re-introduced by Tiger Electronics, a toy company based in Vernon Hills, Illinois. The toy was changed into a modern design, and new programmed toy cartridges were introduced. The voice for this version was done by Freeman as well, the robot was a popular educational toy whose success anticipated the dominant influence of technology in education today
1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Monroe's)
The 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment was a cavalry regiment of the Confederate States of America. Officially designated by the Arkansas State Military Board as the 6th Regiment Arkansas Cavalry and it was usually called Monroes 1st Arkansas Cavalry, occasionally the 4th Arkansas Cavalry, and more rarely the 1st Trans-Mississippi Cavalry. It is found in the Official Records of the American Civil War as Fagans Cavalry, the Compiled Service Records of the men are filed under the designation 1st Cavalry, Rolls 4 and 5. The origins of Monroes Cavalry can be traced back to two units, ONeills 13th Battalion Arkansas Cavalry and Wheats Squadron Arkansas Cavalry. Captain James McCarney ONeill was appointed to command the 13th Arkansas Battalion on August 1,1862 and it was composed of three independent troops, ONeills, Capt. Americus V. Rieffs, and Capt. Columbus C. Capt. Patrick Henry Wheats squadron consisted of two Prairie County companies and Raulstons, in September 1862, these units were combined with other independent cavalry troops and partisan ranger companies to form the 6th Regiment Arkansas Cavalry.
The regiment was made up of the volunteer companies, Company A – This company was organized at Hickory Plains, Prairie County, Arkansas, on May 9,1862. The company was composed mostly of Prairie County men, the other Prairie County company of this regiment, joined with Wheats company to form a cavalry squadron commanded by Wheat as senior captain. Wheats squadron was consolidated with Witherspoons 13th Battalion Arkansas Cavalry to form the 6th Arkansas Cavalry on September 1,1862, when Captain Wheat left the service in April 1863, Robert M. Barnes succeeded him as captain. Company B – This company was organized at Warren, Bradley County, Arkansas, on May 12,1862, the company was composed mostly of men from Bradley and Calhoun counties. It was initially assigned to Witherspoons 13th Battalion Arkansas Cavalry, Captain ONeill was assigned to command the battalion, as senior captain, on August 1,1862. The next month, the battalion was consolidated with Wheats squadron to form the 6th Arkansas Cavalry, when ONeill was promoted, G. S.
Van Valkenburgh succeeded him as captain. Company C – This company was organized at Washington, Hempstead County, Arkansas, on May 15,1862, the company initially operated as an independent partisan ranger company before being assigned to the 6th Arkansas Cavalry. In late 1862, about half the men of the disbanded Company I were transferred to Company C. Company D – This company was organized at Washington, Hempstead County, Arkansas, on May 19,1862, by Captain Americus V. Rieff, and enlisted in Confederate service on May 22,1862. Initially assigned to the 13th Battalion Arkansas Cavalry, it became a part of the 6th Arkansas Cavalry on September 1,1862, when the battalion was consolidated with Wheats squadron. Company E – This company was organized at Brownsville, Prairie County, Arkansas, on May 26,1862, the company was composed mostly of Prairie County men. The other Prairie County company of this regiment, joined with Raulstons company to form a squadron commanded by Wheat as senior captain
1st Infantry Division (United States)
The 1st Infantry Division is a combined arms division of the United States Army, and is the oldest continuously serving in the Regular Army. It has seen service since its organization in 1917 during World War I. It was officially nicknamed The Big Red One after its shoulder patch and is nicknamed The Fighting First, the division has received troop monikers of The Big Dead One and The Bloody First as puns on the respective officially-sanctioned nicknames. It is currently based at Fort Riley, sibert, from Army units in service on the U. S. -Mexico border and at various Army posts throughout the United States. The total authorized strength of this TO&E was 18,919 officers, George S. Frank W. Coe, who served as Chief of Coast Artillery, was the divisions first chief of staff. The first units sailed from New York City and Hoboken, New Jersey on 14 June 1917, throughout the remainder of the year, the rest of the division followed, landing at St. Nazaire and Liverpool, England. After a brief stay in rest camps, the troops in England proceeded to France, the last unit arrived in St.
Nazaire 22 December. Upon arrival in France, the division, less its artillery, was assembled in the First training area, on 4 July, the 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry, paraded through the streets of Paris to bolster the sagging French spirits. At Lafayettes tomb, Captain C. E. Stanton of the 16th Infantry Regiment stepped forward and said, two days later,6 July, First Expeditionary Division was redesignated as Headquarters, First Division. The total authorized strength of this new TO&E was 27,120 officers, on the morning of 23 October, the first American shell of the war was fired toward German lines by a First Division artillery unit. Two days later, the 2nd Battalion of the 16th Infantry suffered the first American casualties of the war, by April 1918, the Germans had pushed to within 40 miles of Paris. In reaction to this thrust, the Big Red One moved into the Picardy Sector to bolster the exhausted French First Army, to the divisions front lay the small village of Cantigny, situated on the high ground overlooking a forested countryside.
The 28th Infantry Regiment attacked the town, and within 45 minutes captured it along with 250 German soldiers and it was the first American victory of the war. The 28th was thereafter named the Black Lions of Cantigny, Soissons was taken by the First Division in July 1918. The Soissons victory was costly –700 men were killed or wounded, the First Infantry helped to clear the St. Mihiel salient by fighting continuously from 11 to 13 September 1918. The last major World War I battle was fought in the Meuse-Argonne Forest, the division advanced seven kilometers and defeated, in whole or part, eight German divisions. This victory was due to the efforts of George C. Marshall, who at the time was a captain in the 1st Division and organized soldiers movements, the war was over when the Armistice was signed
1st Battalion, 12th Marines
1st Battalion 12th Marines is an artillery battalion comprising four firing batteries and a Headquarters Battery. The battalion is stationed at Marine Corps Base Hawaii and falls under the 12th Marine Regiment, the battalion has recently transitioned to its new primary weapon system the M777 lightweight howitzer with a maximum effective range of 30 kilometres. Provide direct support of the 3rd Marine Regiment in time of conflict and that support may come in the traditional fashion of artillery support to maneuver forces, or by providing batteries to serve as provisional rifle companies. They have the mission of being the primary providers of civil-military operations. Headquarters Battery Battery A Battery B Battery C (Charlie Battery 1st Battalion 12th Marines came into existence during World War II, the battalion was activated 1 September 1942, at San Diego, California as the 4th Battalion 12th Marines and assigned to the 3rd Marine Division. During October 1942, the Battalion relocated to Camp Dunlap and they were deployed to Auckland, New Zealand during March 1943, redeployed during July 1943 to Guadalcanal.
During this period, the Battalion was heavily involved in numerous campaigns including the Battle of Bougainville, Battle of Guam and the Battle of Iwo Jima. After being re-designated on 5 April 1945 as 1st Battalion 12th Marines, five years later, the Battalion was reactivated on 20 June 1951 at Camp Pendleton and was assigned to the 3rd Marine Division. In August 1953, 1st Battalion 12th Marines deployed to Camp Mcnair and redeployed to South Camp Fuji, during March and April 1965, the battalion was called upon to deploy to the Republic of Vietnam. They participated in the Vietnam War from April 1965 to September 1969, operating from Phu Bai, Cam Lộ, Khe Sanh, the battalion after the Vietnam war was reduced to cadre status. During October 1969, the battalion was re-established at Camp Pendleton, one year later, in November 1969, they were reassigned to the 5th Marine Expeditionary Brigade. In April 1971, the 1/12 was reassigned to the 1st Marine Division, the battalion deployed in June 1971 to Kaneohe Bay and was reassigned to the 1st Marine Brigade.
During the 1970s and 1980s, the participated in numerous training exercises to remain combat ready. 1st Marine Brigade re-designated on 30 August 1985 as the 1st Marine Amphibious Brigade, in the years that followed, 1st Marine Amphibious Brigade was re-designated as the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade. 1st Battalion 12th Marines participated in Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm in Southwest Asia during September 1990 to April 1991, in September 1994, the Battalion was reassigned to 3rd Marine Division as part of the III Marine Expeditionary Force, Hawaii. From July 2004 through April 2005, Charlie Battery, 1st Battalion 12th Marines and they were attached to 1st Battalion 3rd Marines and deployed to Fallujah, Iraq participating in Operation Phantom Fury. They were the artillery battery inititating the attack on Fallujah where they fired over 1500 rounds in support of 1st Battalion 8th Marines. From March 2007 through October 2007 and September 2008 through April 2009, bravo Battery remained in garrison for live fire during training exercises
1st Battalion, 7th Marines
The 1st Battalion, 7th Marines is an infantry battalion of the United States Marine Corps. It is based at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, consists of approximately 1,000 Marines, famous Marines who have served in 1/7 include Lieutenant General Lewis Chesty Puller and Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone, and General James Mattis. The 1st Battalion, 7th Marines was created on 1 April 1921 in San Diego, in September 1924, the Battalion was deactivated with its personnel being absorbed by the newly organized 4th Marine Regiment. For the next twenty years the Battalion was activated, re-designated and disbanded on numerous occasions until being reborn on 1 January 1941. Just over a year after its rebirth, the Battalion deployed to take part in the Pacific Theater during World War II, under its commander, Lieutenant Colonel Lewis B. Chesty Puller, the Battalion distinguished itself many times over for valor and it was during this campaign that the legendary Sgt Manila John Basilone was awarded the Medal of Honor for defending the regiment from a comprehensive Japanese assault using only a machine gun.
Throughout the remainder of the war, the First Team distinguished itself throughout many campaigns, including the Battle of Cape Gloucester, the Battle of Peleliu, the battalion deployed to North China for occupation duty at the end of the war. Following World War II, the First of the Seventh was sent to Camp Pendleton in California where it was deactivated on 5 March 1947, however, in response to the invasion of South Korea by the communist North Korea, the battalion was again called into action. On 21 September 1950, the unit carried out a landing at Inchon. Once more the First Team distinguished itself in the battle as it took part in such as Hook and Vegas, as well as fighting its way to. It was during this war that such names as 1st Lt Frank Mitchell, SSgt Archie Van Winkle, became part of Marine Corps history when each were awarded the Medal of Honor. Following the cessation of hostilities in Korea and through 1965, the Battalion spent time both in Camp Pendleton and Okinawa while maintaining its combat readiness, in August 1965, the battalion was once again called to service, this time in the Republic of Vietnam.
For the next five years, the First Team participated in operations such as Starlite, Mameluke Thrust. Ingram would be awarded the Medal of Honor in 1966, five Marines from the battalion were responsible for the only war crime attributable to the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War. On 19 February 1970, in the village of Son Thang-4 just southwest of Danang, one member of the team was convicted of premeditated murder. The 1st Battalion, 7th Marines was the first unit to man defensive positions in Saudi Arabia during Operation Desert Shield in August 1990, the unit was an integral member of Task Force Ripper. As Desert Shield became Desert Storm, the participated in the diagonal thrust to the perimeter of Kuwait City. The battalion returned to Twentynine Palms in March 1991, on 11 December 1992, the first elements of 1st Battalion, 7th Marines arrived at Mogadishu, Somalia for Operation Restore Hope
1st Combat Engineer Battalion
1st Combat Engineer Battalion is a combat engineer battalion of the United States Marine Corps. The unit, nicknamed The Super Breed, is based at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton and falls under the command of the 1st Marine Division, provide mobility, counter mobility and limited general engineering support to the 1st Marine Division. The average age of the men was about 18. The sail to New Zealand was on the USAT John Ericsson and they returned to Camp Pendleton, California in April 1955 and were again redesignated on 1 May 1957 as the 1st Pioneer Battalion. From Okinawa they deployed to Qui-Nhon SVN, landing there on 06-7 July 1965, on 10 November 1965 7th Marines re-deployed to Chu Lai in the Republic of Vietnam. One Marine was lost on the USS Renville while en route to Hawaii due to appendicitis which was misdiagnosed as sea-sickness, robert E. OMalley was awarded the first Marine Corps Medal of Honor of the Vietnam War. The battalion participated in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm in Southwest Asia from August 1990 until March 1991 and they would take part in Operation Restore Hope in Somalia from December 1992 – February 1993.
Elements would participate in Fire-Fighting efforts in the Western United States during August, the battalion has participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom from March 2003 until the present. A unit citation or commendation is an award bestowed upon an organization for the action cited, members of the unit who participated in said actions are allowed to wear on their uniforms the awarded unit citation. 1st CEB has been presented with the awards, List of United States Marine Corps battalions Organization of the United States Marine Corps
1st Battalion, 2nd Marines
1st Battalion, 2nd Marines is an Infantry battalion in the United States Marine Corps based out of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, consisting of approximately 900 Marines and sailors. They belong to the 2nd Marine Regiment as a part of the 2nd Marine Division, 1/2 was reactivated in June 1942 deployed to the Pacific theater of World War II. While there, the participated in the bloody island hopping campaign, fighting at Guadalcanal, Saipan, Tinian. After the war, 1/2 spent a period on occupation duty in Japan, including Nagasaki. Reactivated again in October 1949, the battalion has since regularly deployed to the Caribbean and Mediterranean regions, the unit has deployed with the Unit Deployment Program and Camp Lejeune-based MEUs. In December 2001, the Marines of Bravo Company were recalled off of Christmas leave after completing their six-month Unit Deployment Program to Okinawa, the Marines were sent to Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, Cuba to provide security for the Guantanamo Bay detention camp, including Camp X-Ray.
In the summer of 2006, the completed their third tour in Iraq having combat operations as part of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit in Hīt located within the Al Anbar province. In March 2007 the battalion on its 4th combat deployment operated in Kahn ar Bagdadi, Ar Rutbah, Albu Hyatt and Anah, from July 2008 through February 2009 the battalion deployed to Al Habbaniyah in the Al Anbar province. The battalion spent a portion of its 5th deployment to Iraq in Sinjar, the battalion deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in March 2010. Their area of operations included Now Zad, Salaam Bazaar, Kunjak, Musa Qaleh, Allahu Akbar, and the Musa Qaleh Wadi down to Sangin. The battalion took heavy casualties but was able to out a large portion of the Taliban in the AO. For their exceptional actions, First Battalion Second Marines, along with several attachments were awarded the Navy, 1/2 came home in late September 2010 when they were relieved by 1st Battalion 8th Marines. 1/2 deployed again in support of OEF in April 2014, 1/2 was the last U. S.
ground combat unit on Camp Leatherneck, flying out on helicopters hours after control of the base was transferred to ANSF. Justin LeHew, recipient of the Navy Cross for action during the Battle of Nasiriyah in 2003, and the Bronze Star for heroic actions during the Battle of Najaf in 2004